Meet Sharon Loosman

Written by Tabitha Groelle.

In our fifth edition of our Chatting series, I spoke with Sharon Loosman, Director of Procurement & Business Services. Procurement & Business Services has been a part of the Finance Division since July 2010 and was previously known as Materials Management.  Sharon was promoted to Director in 2011. Let’s get to know her a little better:

Tabitha:      Let’s start with the basics.  When did you start working at NC State and in what position?

Sharon:      I started here in January 2001 as a Training Specialist. I was hired by Linda Alred for the PeopleSoft upgrade/implementation for Purchasing.

Tabitha:      You have been in the same department your entire career with NC State. Why?

Sharon: “I’ve been able to move from where I was hired to other responsibilities and have built a portfolio in my career. I started as a trainer, then hired a trainer. I started working with the systems and finally I am leading the department. My job has stayed fresh and challenging.”

Tabitha:      What was your very first job? What did you do before coming here?

Sharon: “My very first jobs were babysitting and house cleaning for my mom’s friends. My first job outside of that was at the Dairy Queen. Before coming to NC State, I was working for a software company as an implementation engineer doing backhouse software implementation and customer service. I traveled a lot with that job.”

Tabitha:     You have a strong background in software; that’s why you can follow along so well when we are working with EAS! Makes sense. Where did you go to school and what is your degree?

Sharon:      I have a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Civil Engineering. I started at Boston University and ended up at Catholic University. I actually changed universities because of a grant I was working on with a professor. He changed schools, so I did too! 

Tabitha:      In addition to that degree, I believe you have some additional certifications. What are they?

Sharon: “I actually do not have any additional certifications, yet. I am currently working on my CTP, Certified Treasury Professional certificate.”

Tabitha:      What’s your “escape from reality” activity?

Sharon:      F45 – It’s a type of weight and cardio workout. I do it every morning at 6:15.  I also like the beach and staring at the ocean.

Tabitha:      What’s something people would be surprised to know about you? 

Sharon:      I’m a Star Wars fan. I have a 12 lb Yorkie, Chewy, named after Chewbaca. I’ve been married for 23 years. I got married right before I started working here.

Tabitha:      What inspires or motivates you?

Sharon:      Learning new things, interacting with new people, staying active and good music.

Tabitha:      What have you found most enjoyable about working at NC State?

Sharon: “The collegiality and collaboration. I’ve been able to work on projects across the departments. I like learning new things and meeting new people. I like creating efficiencies and I’m not afraid of change.”

Tabitha:      Thank you for sharing a little bit about who you are with me.