Chatting with University Controller Fran Lawrence

Written by Tabitha Groelle.

In this edition of our Chatting series, I spoke with Fran Lawrence, our new University Controller. Fran joined our team at NC State on June 1 and leads the University Controller’s Office. Let’s get to know her a little better.

Tabitha:      Welcome to NC State! But this is really a “Welcome Back,” isn’t it? You have a history here. Would you share some of that with us?

Fran: Sure. I went to NC State in the 90’s, got my bachelor’s degree in 1995 and my MAC (Master’s in Accounting) the second year they offered the program in 1996. I am a loyal NC State fan. We have season tickets to men’s football and women’s basketball as well as attend other sporting events. 

Tabitha:      You also are not new to state government. I like to say we stole you from another agency. Tell us a little more about your last job.

Fran: I was the chief financial officer and deputy treasurer at the State Treasurer’s Office for 12 years. I was responsible for statewide banking operations, the agency’s accounting and financial reporting and procurement for the agency. I loved working there. I felt like the work we did was for the benefit of everyone in North Carolina and they didn’t even know it. 

Tabitha:      Whenever I tell someone I work for the University’s treasurer, they always say, “Oh you know where all the money is!” I bet you got that more times than you can remember when you were with the State Treasurer’s Office. 

Fran:           Absolutely, yes. People’s perception was that we were the Department of Revenue or the State Controller’s Office. 

Tabitha:      You have been here for a few months. Congratulations! You have it all figured out, right? 

Fran:           Thank you! I’m working on it… (laughing)

Tabitha:      What has been the most challenging or interesting thing you have learned?

Fran:          It’s been interesting to learn how big the University is and all the moving parts. There is a lot of interaction with different departments.

Tabitha:     We already know where you went to school and that you are a CPA. Do you have any other type of professional certifications or licenses?

Fran:           I do not. 

Tabitha:      What’s your “escape from reality” activity?

Fran:           I like watching my boys play football. 

Tabitha:      What’s something people would be surprised to know about you?

Fran:           I was a florist. I started working at the family store when I was in the fifth grade, behind the bread counter. I moved up and became a florist and made bouquets.

Tabitha:      What inspires or motivates you?

Fran:  Seeing results. I like to make a positive impact and contribute to the team’s success.

Tabitha:      You’ve definitely hit the ground running since starting here, and we are happy to have you on our team!  Thank you for sharing a little bit about who you are with me.